A key part of giving effect to the Positive Ageing Strategy is the Age-friendly New Zealand programme. It is being promoted as a way to ensure our communities respect and include the perspective and needs of older people.
In an age-friendly community:
- green spaces are well-maintained with seating, shelter, and toilets
- safe pedestrian crossings and footpaths are wide enough for wheelchairs, walkers or strollers
- there is Public transport to health centers, shops, and parks
- affordable housing options are close to services and facilities
- signage is clear and easy to read Council events and activities appeal to people of different ages
- older people contribute to community groups Facilities are located close to residential areas and services
- older people are consulted and included in decision-making
The 2018 National Age-friendly Forum will be held in Wellington on 19 June, 2018.
Please see the attached program of events to see what is happening on the day.